Personal Care Aides vs. Home Health Aides

When it comes to finding care for your loved one, you may feel overwhelmed. There are certain levels of care that can be chosen depending on the needs of your loved one. With so many different types of professionals in the medical field, it’s often hard to determine what services are necessary and appropriate. Two types of professionals include personal care aides (PCA) and home health aides (HHA). Both of these aides have similar duties when caring for patients. However, they differ slightly in the training they receive and their responsibilities.

Personal Care Aide

A personal care aide helps patients with daily living skills within the patient’s home. This may include helping patients with getting dressed, bathing, and grooming. It also includes support for other daily activities such as lightly vacuuming, dusting, and cleaning the patient’s home as well as meal prep based on the patient’s dietary needs, shopping, and running errands. PCAs also help patients schedule doctor appointments and organize transportation.

When it comes to obtaining a personal care aide job, applicants generally need a high school diploma or GED certificate. However, some facilities require applicants to complete a vocational program.

Home Health Aides

Home health aides work in home settings as well as nursing homes, retirement homes, or other locations. Like PCAs, HHAs also provide help with basic daily routines and living skills, but they are also trained to perform medical duties such as checking pulse and blood pressure. HHAs are helpful in observing patients’ vital signs and administering medication. They can also assist with lifting, turning, and repositioning patients to ensure they are not getting bedsores from being in the same position for too long. These aides report their patient’s health and information back to doctors and nurses to ensure they are being well taken care of.

When it comes to obtaining a home health aide job, applicants need a high school diploma or GED certificate, a vocational school or community college program, and passing certification tests. This may vary from state to state depending on the requirements of the state.

Rely on our Home Health Agency

Whether you are looking for home care in the Mt. Kisco, New City, Newburgh, Kingston, New York City, Spring Valley, Rockland, Westchester, Orange, or Ulster, NY areas, look no further than A&T Health Care. We offer a team of highly qualified personal care aides and home health aides depending on your family’s needs. Our staff will help you feel at ease knowing your loved ones are in good hands while you can’t be there. Contact us today to learn more about what we can do to help you and your family.

If you are searching for a home health or personal care aide job, we would love for you to become part of our family! If you are interested in joining our team, please contact us or fill out an application.